Letsrecover recovery forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Letsrecover recovery forum

This is a trigger-free recovery help forum for those recovering from restrictive eating disorders, such as anorexia, bulimia, binge-restrict, overexercise or ednos.

You are not connected. Please login or register

HORRIBLE DIGESTION PROBLEMS

+2
susannsk89
wantingrelief
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1HORRIBLE DIGESTION PROBLEMS Empty HORRIBLE DIGESTION PROBLEMS Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:16 am

wantingrelief

I know bloating is very common and all but i am so terribly bloated and constipated i cant breathe.My school netball jersey is so so uncomfortable.1 month into recovery i should get better.Halfway it wass okay but now its worst.Avocado and chocolate used to help but now they dont.Went to the doctor and he gave me senokot(a laxative) and i literally wanted to cry because i used to take 8 senokot and abuse it about a few months ago during my ed.I honestly dk what to do it seems like if i want to recover,i can only recover.And nothing else.

2HORRIBLE DIGESTION PROBLEMS Empty Re: HORRIBLE DIGESTION PROBLEMS Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:31 am

susannsk89

susannsk89

What else are you eating, besides chocolate and avokado? Try to stay away from low calory foods. Remember that too much water insoluble fiber and too little water may get you constipated.

3HORRIBLE DIGESTION PROBLEMS Empty Re: HORRIBLE DIGESTION PROBLEMS Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:44 am

jennysrecovery

One month is really nothing! Just keep on eating enough and it will pass Smile

4HORRIBLE DIGESTION PROBLEMS Empty Re: HORRIBLE DIGESTION PROBLEMS Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:06 am

Amalie

Amalie
Admin

I strongly encourage you to be careful with the laxatives if you used to abuse them! I've heard coffee, flax seeds and fruit is helpful for constipation in recovery. One moth of recovery is not long at all, the first 1-2 months are usually the most challenging ones.

http://letsrecover.tumblr.com

5HORRIBLE DIGESTION PROBLEMS Empty Re: HORRIBLE DIGESTION PROBLEMS Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:42 pm

wantingrelief

Thank you so much for all your help!I will try to cut down on oatmeal and wholewheat bread and eat more white bread and cornflakes.

6HORRIBLE DIGESTION PROBLEMS Empty Re: HORRIBLE DIGESTION PROBLEMS Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:34 pm

So sorry you're having to deal with all this! Sad It suckks I know. I use natural laxatives - strong coffee, prunes, raisins, pumpkin seeds really help me. So do some fermented foods like sauerkraut and yogurt (soy because of my dairy intolerance).

7HORRIBLE DIGESTION PROBLEMS Empty Re: HORRIBLE DIGESTION PROBLEMS Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:54 pm

Hi!
I know how you feel. I really do. I started recovery about one year ago (a bit more) and at the beginning I was SO constipated I felt pain 24/7. A month later I was first set on "Movicol" (you might know that?) and it helped me at least a little bit. After a few months I experienced terrible bloating and stopped taking it - instead I take psyllium husks now. They might be a solution for you? They're 100% natural and do not have any chemical indegrients and don't make you addicted to them. I am now still constipated every now and then (and I fear that I destroyed my disgestion, thanks ED), but my disgestion and my bloating is MUCH better. Just relax, eat food that is easy to disgest and stay strong! I hope you'll get better soon!
Be careful with taking laxatives though!

8HORRIBLE DIGESTION PROBLEMS Empty Re: HORRIBLE DIGESTION PROBLEMS Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:48 pm

Mea

Mea

I feel that pain, sister. When I started the whole thing for the first time, it was pain and misery all the way for my poor tummy. I made the classic mistake of excessive protein intake, only huge amounts of low calorie, high-fibre foods. Man it was hell. I really did look 7-8 months pregnant, I was super gassy, bloated and miserable and I thought that I was doing the right thing and being healthy… So what helped for me?

When I finally accepted that I needed to change the kind of foods that I eat, it got a little better. I still need to avoid large amounts of beans/legumes, wheat and other gluten containing grains and milk. And I am SO SORRY for this, as I would love to eat all of those things a lot… So I use soy milk and non-dairy alternatives to many of my foods, still eating cheese, some yoghurt, ice cream and quark though. It is not so bad if it has some good bacteria cultures. Also, I use a probiotic capsules and those have improved my stomach and digestion a lot.

Also, choosing rice and rice based pasta and bread, as rice is more gentle to digest. Oatmeal actually helped too, even if it has a high fiber content. I read somewhere that oatmeal creates a protecting layer inside your stomach and so it's easy on it. I'm not cheering for gluten-free products IF YOU DON'T HAVE REAL PROBLEMS TO DIGEST IT. I don't have Celiacs disease but I am intolerant to big amounts of gluten. Probiotics and gluten-ease capsules help a bit so I can have my regular pizza and cake every now and then and have a proper feast at parties Wink

Listening to my own body was also important. When I found courage to give in to my cravings (easy digesting junk food and fast calories) I started eating more of the things I needed to be eating. So don't be scared! It does get better with time and food and consistent effort.

Oh btw, I do know that if you also have had bulimia/bulimic tendencies, your digestion may need even more time to recover and get used to food again. So be extra kind and patient with yourself if you used to purge. If you still purge, try your hardest to stop it now. It will only worsen the symptoms of digestion problems and make things harder to heal mentally and physically.

9HORRIBLE DIGESTION PROBLEMS Empty Re: HORRIBLE DIGESTION PROBLEMS Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:54 am

wantingrelief

You guys have no idea how much you help me I am literally so grateful!As adviced,i will try to eat more natural fibers.I know junk food would probably help me but it is still a big fear food.But dont you think high sodium and the processed meat in say a Mcdonalds meal would make my problem worst?Thanks again btw!Wink

Oh and any suggestion on how to add psyllium husks into my diet?

10HORRIBLE DIGESTION PROBLEMS Empty Re: HORRIBLE DIGESTION PROBLEMS Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:35 pm

I just mix them with a bit water and milk, and "eat" them this way. You can also use them in your oatmeal, for example, or in yoghurt etc. Just make sure you drink enough!
I would also recommend to take them after your meals just that they don't make you extra full.

11HORRIBLE DIGESTION PROBLEMS Empty Re: HORRIBLE DIGESTION PROBLEMS Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:02 pm

oigunn

oigunn

Like others have said; be careful with the laxatives. To quote Amalie (from a different topic): Using laxatives when constipated in recovery would be like placing a bucket under a destroyed roof. The bucket will not fix the roof, it will just make it bearable short-term.
If you use laxatives now, this can result in your bacterial gut not returning to your stomach. (Bacterial gut is a positive thing, we need it for optimal digestion - yoghurt often provide some of this bacterial gut, so I would recommend yoghurt instead of laxatives!)

http://www.sjokoladeilomma.blogg.no

12HORRIBLE DIGESTION PROBLEMS Empty Re: HORRIBLE DIGESTION PROBLEMS Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:06 pm

oigunn

oigunn

Plus what susannsk89 said - stay away from low calorie foods, foods high in fibre, and sparkling drinks.
In order to let your stomach heal itself, you need to provide your body with ENERGY to do so. ENERGY (calories) is your body's workers and repairing tools. More workers and tools = faster repairs.
Go for high calorie foods, foods high in fat and carbs, and creamy, sugary drinks.

Coffee and similar natural laxatives can be used for short-term relief, but try to only use this method when you REALLY need it. Don't do it too often. The first priority is ENERGY to repair your stomach (THAT would be "fixing the roof", instead of "placing a bucket under the leaky roof").

http://www.sjokoladeilomma.blogg.no

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum