Letsrecover recovery forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Letsrecover recovery forum

This is a trigger-free recovery help forum for those recovering from restrictive eating disorders, such as anorexia, bulimia, binge-restrict, overexercise or ednos.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Are abs exercises harmful?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Are abs exercises harmful? Empty Are abs exercises harmful? Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:18 pm

polishgirl

Good evening, lovely people❤️

So I have this one problem, which I couldn't really solve for a long time, because no one was able to answer my questions...
I know that demanding exercises, like aerobics, dancing, calorie burning sports are absolutely forbidden for a recovering person.
However, I've been wondering if it's harmful to do exercises for particlar muscles when recovering? They usually don't burn much calories and are more about shaping muscles rather than losing weight.
For some time now I've been doing the weider six (the internet says t burns about 80 calories during one session, so it's nothing bascially, easy to make up with eg. a banana) and I was wondering if it'll cause my body any harm?
I've been in recovery for about 1,5 year now (yeah, I know, it took me loooots of time to actually get my shit together and start a REAL RECOVERY instead of pretending that I'm caring for my body. I'm so ashamed of practicing that fake recovery thing for a whole freaking year. But hey, why memorize it, it's past me now :-)), and I'm almost at the finishing point of my journey. I've still got about 3-4 kilos to go, my BMI's still waiting to rise a little bit (17.Cool.
Any answers/tips will be HIGHLY appreciated

2Are abs exercises harmful? Empty Re: Are abs exercises harmful? Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:20 pm

polishgirl

Okay, this smiley with shades on his face is an accident, still figuring out how to emoji in here hahhaha Very Happy

3Are abs exercises harmful? Empty Re: Are abs exercises harmful? Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:12 am

susannsk89

susannsk89

The quick answer is yes, it's harmful to exercise in recovery, even if it's not burning that many calories. The reason is that your body will get confused about what it should use the energy you give for. Even if you compensate by eating that extra banana, your body will still doubt that it's okay to use that energy to heal itself. Instead it will use it to build up emergency fat reserves. Therefore, not exercising will actually result in a more toned body than if you exercise. Since you're not that far from finishing, it's not long before you could start exercising anyways

4Are abs exercises harmful? Empty Re: Are abs exercises harmful? Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:01 am

polishgirl

susannsk89 wrote:The quick answer is yes, it's harmful to exercise in recovery, even if it's not burning that many calories. The reason is that your body will get confused about what it should use the energy you give for. Even if you compensate by eating that extra banana, your body will still doubt that it's okay to use that energy to heal itself. Instead it will use it to build up emergency fat reserves. Therefore, not exercising will actually result in a more toned body than if you exercise. Since you're not that far from finishing, it's not long before you could start exercising anyways

Thank you for your answer, it was actually really helpful! Have a nice day! x

5Are abs exercises harmful? Empty Re: Are abs exercises harmful? Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:39 pm

susannsk89

susannsk89

Happy to help Smile

6Are abs exercises harmful? Empty Re: Are abs exercises harmful? Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:52 pm

polishgirl

I'm SO sorry for putting this in the 'mental' section! I had one job

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum